Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Baby Names

So...naming a baby is hard work. A name can say everything about a person and will be with them for the rest of their life. There are so many things to consider when trying to find the perfect name for your baby.

When my parents were deciding what to name me, my mom wanted Erin and my dad wanted Colleen. My mom insisted you couldn't name a baby Colleen, because it was too grown-up. Apparently, she thought I was going to be a baby forever! They compromised. I'm Erin Colleen.

Sean's parents picked a middle name that his dad decided he hated so much, they went to the courthouse when he was a couple weeks old to have it officially changed.

I have always loved old fashioned names. I always tell people if I ever have twin girls, I will name them Millicent (Millie) and Matilda (Tillie). I'm mostly joking, but I do love both of those names. Sean has even agreed on those names if we have twin girls (he is clearly betting we don't!).

Sean and I tried to talk about baby names before we found out we were having a boy, but we lacked focus. We decided to give up until we knew it was a boy. Some people like to wait to see what the baby "looks" like, but we knew we wanted to have a name picked out in advance. I really wanted a name that had a good nickname. Sean wanted something that sounded sensitive and intelligent.

We did finally find a name we both agreed on, but it wasn't easy. Every name I suggested (Griffin, Seth), Sean would veto and visa versa (Lincoln, Malcolm). One day I brought home 2 copies of the top 500 boys names. We each went through and highligted names we liked and then compared lists. We had NO (ZERO) matches. I suggested the name we finally agreed on and Sean suggested the middle name. Sean wasn't completely sold at first, but about a week later he said "Maybe that isn't such a bad idea after all".

So in approximately 6 weeks we will be welcoming.....

Finnegan Orion (nickname: Finn)